If you are seeking to become a Python developer, then building projects is one of the many things that you need to do. Not just to showcase those but also to get familiar with the process of developing applications in Python. There are numerous Python project ideas for beginners over the internet, but most of them are not as easy as they should be for a beginner-level person.
In this article, we are going to discuss 10 Python project ideas for Beginners that you can build to gain a good grasp of Python programming language, they are also eligible for your college projects, and we will discuss them in detail. They are perfectly suited for individuals who are starting out with Python programming. Without further ado, let’s jump right in.
Table of Contents
Why Build Projects in Python Language?
If you are new to programming, python is one of the most simple languages out there in the market. As you know, Python is a versatile language and you can use it to develop numerous types of projects be it web development, machine learning, Desktop applications, etc. To be honest, it is just like the plain English language. You don’t have to worry about complicated syntax and characters. Though the indentation in Python matters, but that’s much less painful than C++ or Java’s difficult syntax which some students find very overwhelming.
Developing in Python is fairly less complex than in other languages, and you will be glad to know that Python has a huge variety of libraries that make your development work easier. You can find packages for most of the work that you will be doing and can carry out the important programming part rather than rebuilding the wheel. Now, let’s discuss some really fun Python Project Ideas for Beginners that are easy enough for a beginner to build but good enough to impress anyone.
Python Project Ideas for Beginners
Here are some of the best beginner Python Project Ideas for Beginners that you will enjoy developing (at least I did):
Guess The Number Game
Guessing the Number Game is one of the most easy projects in Python. A random Number will be generated in the backend and the user will try to guess the generated number with a limited number of tries. If the user guesses the number correctly in n tries they win, else they lose.
You must have heard about tinyurl or bitly, they are URL shorteners that take a long-form URL and shorten it in order to facilitate easy sharing and avoid confusion that comes with long name URLs. You can either build this terminal facing, where you can provide the input through the terminal or you can build a simple beautiful front end dashboard to take user input, that way it looks nicer.
QR Code Generator is a fun project idea in Python, where you can provide an input link to the program and the program will generate a QR Code with customizations that will map to your URL. So, when you scan that QR Code you will be directed to the link you provided.
Rock Paper Scissor Game
Just like the original rock paper scissor game with hands, this game will be played against the computer. You will input your choice from the three – rock, paper, and scissors, then the computer will run its turn and choose one out of those 3, and whoever gets the winning element, wins. Here are the rules of the game in case you are not familiar – Rock vs Scissor (Rock wins), Rock vs Paper (Paper wins), Scissor vs Paper (Scissor wins).
The quiz game is a simple multi-optional question-and-answer game, you can ask the user a question and provide multiple options and if the user selects the right option, they get a point. You can keep on asking questions to the user with a while loop until they ask to quit.
To-Do List Application with GUI
You can develop a To-Do List application with GUI libraries such as Tkinter or PyQt. Create a nice and beautiful GUI application where users can add tasks, edit tasks, delete tasks, etc. You can later on include features such as priority settings and reminders etc.
Random Quote Generator
Build a Random Quote Generator that will generate some random quotes for the user when the user clicks to generate a quote or if using a terminal they can type in some key to generate random quotes. You can keep a list of quotes and the program will randomly display quotes from your list items.
You can build a currency converter app that takes an input currency value and currency type and converts the value to the desired currency type of the person. You can integrate a currency converter API that can handle the current currency prices by taking data from the live market.
Automated Email Sender
This project can be built to automate the process of sending emails. You can use libraries like smtplib to handle the process of sending emails. This improves your understanding of email protocols and also teaches you to handle sensitive information.
Voice Recorder is a good beginner project to build using Python. To build this, libraries such as sounddevice can be used to record voice and all. You can either make a website-based app or a GUI if you like.
These were the cool Python Project Ideas for Beginners that you can develop for your semester project submissions or for upskilling as a beginner also.
How to build projects in Python?
There are a few things that you need to think of if you want to build projects in Python language. You cannot just jump onto anything and start building, you need to properly approach the project building process.
- Keep your Python Basics Clear – The first and foremost thing is you should have your Python basics cleared up before building any Python beginner project. This is because, if you try to build projects without knowing the basics of Python language you can not yield the maximum results from it. You should have familiarity with data types, functions, loops, if-else conditions, etc.
- Shortlist Project Ideas – Shortlist what project you want to build as a beginner from the above-given Python project ideas for beginners. You should carry the project that makes you place the commitment and which excites you to go ahead and build that thing.
- Plan your Project – After selecting the Python project idea, you should lay out the proper plan to develop it. Take help from the internet, read articles, and watch videos about the project if required. Take a pen and notebook and write down the steps you need to execute in order to make this project work.
- Setup your Working Environment – Now you need to set up your coding environment and make sure you have the required tools installed on your system, this includes Code Editor (Visual Studio Code or PyCharm), and Python installed.
- Create Virtual Environment – Create a Virtual Environment before writing the code for your new Python project. The Virtual environment helps you in creating your project in complete isolation from your system’s packages, it is a separate virtual environment.
- Coding, Debugging, and Optimizing – Now comes the most amazing part of developing the project, start coding the project that you decided on according to the layout that you have planned, try to write as clean code as possible because it will only help you in maintaining and after all that’s a good habit to develop as a programmer. If you encounter and bug, debug your code and optimize it again and again in order to maintain it and also to make it run faster and in an optimized manner.
- Using Version Control and Deploying – Never forget to use a version control platform with your Python projects such as GitHub, it helps you keep track of your code in case you run into any issues. Host your code on GitHub and deploy it using services such as Heroku or Vercel.
These are some of the easiest Python project ideas for beginners to develop. You can plan your project development beforehand and lay out the necessary steps you need to take in order to build a beginner’s project. Well, building projects in Python is challenging but at the same time, it will fill you with great confidence in starting development and building tools that you generally use or might have heard of.
Read More –